Beethoven's heavenly Violin Concerto


There is music, and then there is MUSIC. When I was interviewing William & Mary's legendary choir director, Frank Lendrim, for my "Classical Hour" show for the college's radio station WCWM in 1984, I asked him what music he would recommend to the listeners for some "simply beautiful music". He hardly hesitated before saying that Beethoven's slow movements are where it's at. MUSIC. 

Listen to the second movement of his Violin Concerto and I think you'll agree with Dr. Lendrim. I'll send you to a recording by David Oistrach, because he seems to be most violinists' favorite. On the other hand, you can never go wrong with either Jascha Heifetz or Itzhak Perlman. This entire piece is a joy from beginning to end, showing off the beauty of the instrument as it scales the heights and depths of the instrument. The orchestra supports the soloist and adds other colors with the woodwinds, brass and timpani. 


My newest discovery among the plethora of violinists out there is Augustin Hadelich. During the lock-down he gave a living room concert, in which he played a very memorable rendition of Bach's Second Sonata for Solo Violin. His playing was so focused and intense that I was in love with his musicianship at once. Everything I've heard by him since then has been exquisite and worth listening to. Even his Paganini is musical rather than just technical wizardry. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen

Alberto Ginastera's Variaciones Concertantes

Schumann's Piano Concerto