Grosser Herr, o starker König!


When I joined the Untertürkheimer Kantorei choir two years ago, I didn't know that we would have professional singers performing the solo parts and a wonderful orchestra accompanying us. I told the choir director that it was my dream to sing "Großer Herr, o starker König!" Having had the pleasure (?) of hearing me sing the past few weeks, she smiled at me gently and said that she had already booked a very good bass to sing it. 

God, what an aria this is! My first introduction to it was a recording of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing it and I still love his rendition. But when you have the chance to hear it live by a first-class singer such as Thomas Scharr, then you are in for some fun. The piece bounces and blasts the listeners with the greatest assortment of brass arrangements and melodic lines!

I always sing along with it when I play it on CD. I had to keep control of myself during our live performances, though I was mouthing the words and all my emotions were at 110% as Thomas sang it. That will long remain one of my favorite musical moments. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen

Alberto Ginastera's Variaciones Concertantes

Schumann's Piano Concerto